05 May Bill updating the Veterinary Education Loan Repayment Program passes out of Colorado legislature
CVMA is pleased to announce that Senate Bill 23-044, the Veterinary Education Loan Repayment Program, passed out of the Colorado legislature on April 24! It will head to the governor’s desk in the coming months to be signed into law.
The bill updates the veterinary education loan repayment program in five ways:
- The number of qualified applicants per year is increased from 4 to 6;
- The requirement that an applicant must have graduated from an accredited veterinary school in 2017 or later is eliminated;
- The total amount an applicant is eligible for over a 4-year period is increased from $70,000 to $90,000;
- The yearly repayment amounts for successful applicants are increased;
- The state treasurer is required to transfer $540,000 from the general fund to the veterinary education loan repayment fund on September 1, 2023.
CVMA thanks Colorado State University, Senator Joann Ginal, and Representative Karen McCormick for bringing this bill forward, and thanks Drs. Kayle Austin, Will French, Kayla Henderson, and Callie Kuntz for testifying in support of this important bill!